Head to Tools > Email Templates.
In the upper right hand corner select + New Email Template.
In the left sidebar, select the Type of Template you would like to use.
If you choose to Start from Scratch, you will come to this screen to select your layout.
You will use the Sections, Blocks and Styles tabs in the left sidebar to fully customize your email.
The Sections tab allows you to design your own baseline layout.
Once you add the sections to your template, your design will look something like this:
With the Blocks tab you can add text, images, buttons, social media icons, dividers and spacers to your layout.
If you know what type of block you would like in your layout you can click the + sign next to the content block.
This will add it into your template in a single column right above the footer.
To add a particular type of block to a section, just drag it over from the side bar and drop it into an available section.
The Styles tab allows you to design the overall style for your email (background color, font/color for all sections at once, font/size/color for each style of text, link and button style, divider and spacer style).
- Use "styles" to set design options that will be reflected in your entire email template instead of having to define it for each element.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS –
Section and Block Containers
When you scroll over a block, the Grey icons relate to the content block itself and the Blue icons relate to the whole section.
- You can move, edit, duplicate, or delete a block of content or the entire section.
- In the below example, if you click the blue icons you will move/edit/duplicate/delete BOTH the Header Text and Subheader Text. If you click the Grey icons, you will just manipulate the Header Text.
To exit Edit mode for a content block:
- Click to Edit another block;
- Click outside the block on the email background; or
- Click the green DONE button below the block you are editing
Editing in the Sidebar
You will notice when you use the Gear icon to update blocks that a left sidebar with further editing options will appear. Remember to always select DONE to save your changes and to continue making edits to your layout.
Customizing The Email Footer
Take a look at this article to learn how to customize the layout and look of your email footers.
FURTHER DETAILS OF BLOCK OPTIONS –
There are a few editing options within a text block. Select the Gear icon to open up the Text Settings sidebar.
- You can adjust the background color and add a border.
- Adjust the padding to orient the content inside it's block.
- Set your margins to orient the block within the template.
To Edit Text, including font styles, adding links, and many other options, select the grey Pencil icon at the top right of the block.
An edit bar will then appear so you can make changes.
To add images to an image block, simply drag an image from your computer onto the coordinating block. You can also choose an image to upload from your computer or include an image URL.
Your Image Library will contain any images you have previously uploaded. You can sort by grid or list view and search based on the image title.
- To Delete or Replace an image, click on the links in the Image Settings sidebar.
- Update the Image Alt Text for those users who do not allow images in their emails.
- You can also add a Caption to this image or make this block an Image Card.
- Zoom in and out on your image and choose the Alignment within the box itself.
- Keep your image within a specified space in your layout by adjusting the Container Height.
- Add a Border and adjust the Padding of the image within the box itself.
- Link the image to a Website, Email Address, or File and choose if the link should open in a new window.
This specialized link element allows you to create a stylized call-to-action for your email.
Once added to the layout, you can make edits to the Button by selecting the grey Gear icon.
Use the Button Text tab in the left sidebar to:
- Update the text to read as you would like.
- Link the button to a webpage, email or file.
Use the Styles tab to:
- Update the font, button width, alignment, style (square, rounded edges or oval), color and padding. * Remember, padding orients the text within the button itself.
This special element gives you options for adding in stylized links and buttons for all your social media sites.
When added to your layout, the system will default to 4 icons (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Website). Select the grey Gear icon to customize.
The grey Gear icon will open the sidebar for Content and Social Settings.
On the Content tab you will choose which sites you would like to link to using the Channel selector. Your options are Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, LinkedIn, Instagram, RSS, YouTube, Flickr, Tumblr, Pinterest, Skype, and your Website.
Your selected channels will populate below the drop-down so applicable page URLs can be entered.
- Adjust the order in which these appear by clicking and dragging on the 3 lines to the left of the logos.
- Remove a channel by clicking the icon to the right of the page URLs.
In the Social Settings tab, you can choose several display and style options, including:
- Icons only, Icons & Text or Text only
- Alignment (center/right/left)
- Layout (horizontal/vertical)
- Sizes (small/medium/large/jumbo)
- Color (select a uniform icon color to match your branding)
This element will add a divider line between information to help break up sections for your reader.
The grey Gear icon will open the sidebar for Divider Settings.
Here you can decide the style of the line itself -- its width, color, thickness and padding. *Remember, padding will change the distance of the divider from your other elements.
- You can choose to apply this treatment to one individual divider by selecting DONE.
- To apply this change to all dividers currently in the layout and for any that will be added to your layout, select "Apply to All Dividers."
This is an element to help create space between elements.
The grey Gear icon will open the sidebar for Spacer Settings.
You can choose the color and size of this spacer here.
- You can choose to apply this treatment to one individual spacer by selecting DONE.
- To apply this change to all spacers currently in the layout and for any that will be added to your layout, select "Apply to All Spacers."